On Wednesday, October 6, a new law was approved by the Los Angeles City Council that requires proof of vaccination against COVID-19 to enter indoor restaurants, shopping malls, movie theaters, hair and nail salons and many other indoor venues. Upon entering an indoor or “covered” facility, clients and customers must provide proof of vaccination.
According to the Los Angeles Times, while this ordinance states that this requirement will go into effect on Nov. 4, “because the law did not garner enough votes to pass with “urgency,” it will take a little more than a month from now for the law to officially go into effect, according to the city attorney’s office.”
This new law was passed amid a new surge in coronavirus cases and hospitalizations, according to the Los Angeles County Public Health Department.
LA County, California and Salons: A Timeline
We have reported on updates and changes to LA County and California rulings in regards to COVID-19 and its effect on personal care services since March 2020.
- In December 2020, California hair and nail salons were ordered to close. A regional stay-at-home order was issued on Dec.3 by California Governor Gavin Newsom.
- Then on January 25, 2021, this order was lifted and some California counties were permitted to offer limited services.
- On May 29, 2020, after months of closure, salons and spas were told they would be able to reopen at reduced capacity, while adhering to guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
- On July 13, 2020, California salons were again ordered to close.
- On August 17, 2020, frustrated salon owners in and around stated their intention to reopen. The Los Angeles Mayor’s Office was concerned that reopening salons prematurely would backfire.
- On September 22, 2020, nail salons were allowed to reopen for indoor services. Many had moved their work outside.
- In March 2021, salons, barbershops and nail salons were allowed to increase capacity to 75%.
- On May 17, 2021, the CDC lifted the mask mandates–and salons responded.
For reprint and licensing requests for this article, Click here.
Originally posted on Modern Salon